Synchronized skating has a long history in the Section. Former Section Executive member Elizabeth Swan is credited as being one of founders of synchro skating in Canada – between 1978-80 as national director she chaired a committee to establish a precision skating framework, and the national volunteer award for synchronized skating is named after her.
Susan Thistle is the Section Board Member responsible for synchronized skating in the province. Susan is the Synchro Coordinator and Committee Members for 2010-20101 season will be announced soon.
Objectives of the Skate Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Synchronized Skating Committee:
- To promote the development of synchronized skating in all areas of NL Section;
- To encourage skaters of all ages and abilities to participate in synchronized skating;
- To provide a source of communication for synchronized skating team managers, coaches, and club synchronized coordinators;
- To foster understanding and an exchange of ideas and information amongst coaches, managers, club coordinators, and judges, and;
- To promote the continued skill development of synchronized teams throughout NL Section.
2011 SCNL Synchronized Champions and Atlantic Regional Championships: January 28-29-30 week-end at The Glacier, Mount Pearl. See Events Page. [Apr25]
Team Manager Guide
The Skate Canada Synchro Committee has written and produced a Team Manager Guide for our Synchro discipline. It is available to review and download on the Members Only site, 28 pages. From the main menu go under: Technical and Program Information / SynchroSkate / Team Manager Guide. [Jun10]
SCNL has also produced a Handy Tips Guide for Team Managers. These combined Guides were circulated at the AGM Synchro Workshop on April 25th. If you would like a copy mailed, please contact the Section. It can be downloaded here (pdf file, 1.3 mb)
2010-2011 season synchronized skating updates will be posted on the ISU website after the ISU Congress. Check back in August-September under: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-192190-209413-nav-list,00.html [Apr 25]
2010 Skate Canada Synchronized Skating Championships were held on March 4-6. Synergy (Intermediate) qualifed from Atlantic Regionals. Results and Detailed Report Cards can be obtained by visiting Skate Canada www.skatecanada.ca BMO Synchronized Skating Championships. [Aug11]
The full presentation, as shown in Corner Brook in 2009, of the restructuring for next season of synchro categories, ages,team numbers, and elements from the Long-Term Athlete Development module is available here
- 2009-2010 Synchronized Skating Program Requirements as of June 2009. Please note these will be updated by Skate Canada after the ISU Congress for the current season. Check the Members Only site.
- Tool for calculating age/ team compositions
- ISU Technical Communications
- ISU Communcation 1587 - Clarifications to ISU Communication #1532 and #1574, Guidelines for GOEs. 6 pages, [Sep 22]
- ISU Communication 1574 – Amendments and Changes to ISU Communications 1532, Apendix A, B, and C. 21 pages, July 2009 [Sep 21]
- ISU Communication 1532 – replaces communication 1503 – all information for the 2008-2009 season; includes the Difficulty Groups of Features and their requirements for the 2008 – 2009 season; the Difficulty Groups of Elements for the 2008 – 2009 season; the Requirements for Elements (Simple and Difficult Variations) for the 2008 – 2009 season; describes and clarifies the requirements for some elements and features; includes scales of values for elements.
- ISU Communication 1529 - Grade of Execution Charts for Elements Guidelines for Judges Reduction of GOE Deduction Chart for Referees and Technical Panel Program Component Chart This Communcation will prove useful to every synchro coach as you prepare your programme.
- ISU Communication 1528 – guidelines for novice competitions, 2 pages, Sept.2008)
The Cornel and Butt Trophies are awarded annually at the Provincial Festival of Synchronized Skating [past winners].
The national Elizabeth Swan Memorial Award is presented annualy to one individual at the Skate Canada Achievement Awards Gala. Skate Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador Section presents its own award to its nominee at the Section AGM (first presented in 1988). Nominations should be sent to the Section by event Technical Representatives, domestic or international event Referees, National Team Coaches, national or international Team Managers, Section Synchronized Skating representatives, or any member of the Skate Canada and/or Section Board of Directors. The Section should then forward the nomination forms on to the National Office. Skate Canada reserves the right to not present this award in any given year. Criteria:
- Active and currently registered adult volunteer (including judges, team managers, synchronized skating coordinators and representatives, etc.) recognized for his/her contribution to synchronized skating;
- Reflect the characteristics of Elizabeth Swan – dedication, perseverance, commitment, passion and spirit;
- A strong desire and interest in promoting the sport of synchronized skating within and outside the skating community;
- An individual who is aware of, and supports, the development of all levels of synchronized skating (e.g. qualifying event teams and Festival teams); and
- An individual who has given at least 10 years to the discipline of synchronized skating in a volunteer capacity.
- Provincial School Studio Festival of Synchronized Skating/ Eastern Festival Synchro, Grand Falls, February 2008
- Provincial School Studio Festival of Synchronized Skating/ Eastern Festival Synchro, St. John’s, 9-11 February 2007
- Provincial School Studio Sectional Festival of Synchronized Skating, Feb 3-4 2006, Mount Pearl.
- Provincial Festival of Synchronized skating, Jan 29 2005
- North Atlantic Synchro Sectionals, Corner Brook, Jan 30-31, 2004
- North Atlantic Petroleum Synchro Provincials, Gander, 2002
- North Atlantic Petroleum Synchro Provincials, Mount Pearl, 2001
- North Atlantic Petroleum Synchro Provincials, Corner Brook, 2000
- Synchro Provincials, 1998
Results of national level competitions can be found on the Skate Canada web site.
- Synchro clinic with Nita Patel, Dec 27 2008
- Provincial School Studio Festival of Synchronized Skating 2008 [Photos from Saturday | Photos from Friday]
- Provincial School Studio Festival of Synchronized Skating/ Eastern Festival Synchro, 9-11 February 2007
- Eastern Festival of Synchronized Skating Feb 10-11 2006, PEI
- Provincial School Studio Sectional Festival of Synchronized Skating, Feb 3-4 2006, Mount Pearl [Practice photos from Friday | Competition photos | Medal and award presentations]
- Eastern Festival of Synchronized skating, Laval, Feb 2005
- Skate Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Festival of Synchronized Skating 2005 - Day 1 photos | Day 2 photos | Medal presentations
- North Atlantic Petroleum Skate Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Festival of Synchronized Skating and StarSkate 2004
- Section synchro seminar, November 2003
- Synchro and StarSkate Nationals, Brampton, Ontario, March 2003
- Eastern Festival of Synchronized Skating 2003
- Synchro provincials 2003