Born in Austria in 1921, skated and toured in ice shows throughout Europe
Brought to Newfoundland (from Nova Scotia) by Joseph Chapman (father of Wendy Mercer) as a coach in 1966-67. Joseph also found a job for him at MUN. Alex with wife Faith and son Arnold lived in the Chapman’s basement apartment until settled. Second son Karl born in Newfoundland.
- 1973-75 – became president of Prince of Wales Figure Skating Club
- 1975-76 – Avalon Region Director
- 1968/69 – donated the Alex Balisch Cup for Artistic Merit to be awarded at the Sectional (Provincial) Competition. When regional competitions started a Mini Balisch Cup for the Avalon Region Championships was donated as well.
- – Championship Chairman for the Section
- 1976 – Organized and chaired the Skate Atlantica open competition which began in 1976 and rotated throughout the 4 Atlantic Provinces continuing into the 1980’s.
- 1993 Died April 27 at age of 71
NOTE: Alex was responsible for the addition of the short/compulsory program for singles skaters in Newfoundland at the Pre-Novice level. This was not done in the rest of Canada until later.
Compiled by Marion Jeans